Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm Higher Than Mommie


I’m sipping right along now with Mommie thru my little navel straw
Getting a real taste for her cool menthol cigarettes and that cheap lite beer
My tiny ears are pricking up hearing country music from underwater
I’d be really lightheaded if I wasn’t already floating so very freely

It’s warm and dark in here so I cant see the dirty modular where I’ll soon be living
Those piled up dirty dishes and filthy carpet do not bother me at all
Don’t know why I get all scared and nervous when my daddy gets to yelling
I’m higher than my Mommie is, cause she’s sharing everything equally with me

I can taste all the smells of the shrink-wrapped stuff down to our local Wal*Mart
The diesel exhaust from Daddy’s big old truck goes right into my fetal bloodstream
I like my coffee in the morning but it makes me weewee just like Mommie
I get my nutrients from white bread, hamburg and adulterated chinese vitamin pills

I’ll tell you what, my growing brain just loves that Crank as much as my scratchy Mommie
I knew that she was real upset when that last tooth fell out, but, hey, I aint got none, neither
Coming out real soon to crawl the welfare office floors just the same as she did
I would have cried when Daddy punched her but no one could have heard

Sometimes she feels me kicking for a little quiet, as they cackle on the couch at 4:00 AM
She takes me to work sometimes cleaning houses and I can taste the cleansers
When daddy and his friends get to shouting at the TV sports it scares me half to death
I try to roll over and hide my head, but I just have to depend totally on my Mommie

I’ve got pretty blue eyes and cute little fingers and I take in everything she does
I listen as my big sister wipes her dirty nose as it’s buried over me on Mommie’s lap
She don’t talk too well and no one knows why but she’s also short and overweight
But I’m still warm and safe and totally helpless here inside my beloved Mommie

It wasn’t much different for my Mommie or her Mommie going back a few generations
The drugs and environmental contaminants are different but our attitudes are still the same
We all started out just as perfect and as pink and as innocent as I remain right now
And I don’t know no better so my inescapable life will still be all like wondrous to me

The dingy walls that close in on her aren’t as nice as my safe place here in her tummy
She shelters me from the scabies, impetigo, bedbugs, roaches and nasty head lice
I’m picking up on TV though, cause it’s blaring through to me all the time
Sometimes when she lays wrong I don’t know it, but her obesity is squeezing me

I hear my grandma’s laughter morphing into a nicotine coughing fit just above my head
But by then my little world is spinning gently cause it’s finally time for bed
And my love is already smilingly unconditional for I am totally helpless and dependent
So, I’m higher than my Mommie is cause I’m younger, innocent and totally at her mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment